Ahlan wa sahlan! Kalos Orisate!

Welcome to Aladdin's Kitchen.

This project started as my hobby in order to combine free time with my love of creating good and healthy food. My love for the Mediterranean diet and its health benefits have pushed me to share my recipes collected from family, friends and trips around the world. In here you will find recipes from all over the Mediterranean: from Athens to Zahle!

I hope you and your guests enjoy these flavorful recipes as much as I do.

Bon appétit!
bil hana we'shifa'! بالهنا و الشفاء
Kali oreksi! καλή όρεξη!

Tuesday 13 December 2011

Ghee

Ghee (clarified butter)
Preparation time: 30 minutes


Ghee is used as a shortening in many Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Indian recipes and is very easy to mke at home.

Ghee is actually nothing more than clarified butter, which means butter that is purified from lactose, milk protein, and any impurities.

To make Ghee:

  • Melt one kilo of unsalted butter in a saucepan.
  • Boil the melted butter for 20-25 minutes on low heat, this will evaporate excess water and milk content.
  • As the butter boils, you will see the liquid starting to separate and it will start to foam. You can remove excess foam with a spoon.
  • After about 20 to 25 minutes, the liquid will stop foaming: this means the Ghee is ready!
  • Let the mixture cool slightly and pour (I normally do this in the sink) the Ghee through a metal sieve lined with cheese cotton.

Be careful Ghee is extremely hot and you don't want to get burned!
Ghee is best stored in a heavy airtight glass jar.


No comments:

Post a Comment