Ahlan wa sahlan! Kalos Orisate!

Welcome to Aladdin's Kitchen.

This project started as my hobby in order to combine free time with my love of creating good and healthy food. My love for the Mediterranean diet and its health benefits have pushed me to share my recipes collected from family, friends and trips around the world. In here you will find recipes from all over the Mediterranean: from Athens to Zahle!

I hope you and your guests enjoy these flavorful recipes as much as I do.

Bon appétit!
bil hana we'shifa'! بالهنا و الشفاء
Kali oreksi! καλή όρεξη!

Thursday 15 December 2011

Roz bil sha'ariah - Rice with vermicelli

Roz bil sha'ariah- Rice with vermicelli
Preparation time: 6 minutes
Cooking time: approx 40 minutes

Rice with vermicelli is one of the most common side dishes in the Levant. If you have ever eaten at a Shawarma/Shishtaouk joint, I am sure you've seen this before!

Ingredients:

4 cups of chicken broth (I use warm water and 2 cubes of instant chicken broth OXO type)
2cups of white long grain rice (I usually use basmati)
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 cup vermicelli

If the vermicelli are long, start by breaking them into small 1 inch pieces. In a skillet, melt the butter and add the vermicelli, stir frequently and cook until they start to get a nice golden colour.

In a thick saucepan, add the washed rice and the chicken broth and let boil on high heat. Once the pot starts to boil add the vermicelli and reduce the heat as much as possible. Cover the pot with a lid. Let the rice cook at the lowest heat possible for an additional 30 minutes.

Tip: Do not open the lid and stir the rice while its cooking. This makes the temperature go down, and mixing the rice too often makes the rice "smoochy".

Serve along with your chicken dish, or any other meat dish.

Enjoy ! and Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment